Monday, 17 September 2012

Day Three of Juice and Raw Cleanse

Day 3 has begun! I started off with a glass of warm water with lemon and apple cider vinegar, followed by a cup of green tea with honey, then my first juice of the day! Broccoli, kale, orange, green apple, celery, cabbage, mint, ginger, carrot and cucumber with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.

Had another cup of green tea with a squeeze of orange juice, ginger and honey then on to my second juice of the day, which was a crazy green juice of dandelion greens, collard greens, parsley, mint, ginger, kale, green apple, cabbage, half a grapefruit, mandarin and orange with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a touch of organic  honey - so yummy.

























I know what you might be thinking.. dandelion greens? I read about them in my research into detoxifying plants and well I have to say, they must be magical! These are 9 reasons why you should include them in your juice (or green smoothie!)

1 – High in Calcium: Dandelion greens are loaded with calcium. Just one cup of chopped dandelion greens has 103 milligrams (10% of the recommended daily value) of calcium! That’s slightly more than kale!
2 – Rich in Iron: Next to fresh parsley, dandelion greens have a high iron content. One cup contains 1.7 milligrams of iron.
3 – Low Calories: Like all leafy greens, dandelions are low in calories. One cup of chopped dandelion greens has only 25 calories.
4 – Loaded With Antioxidants: Dandelion greens are high in vitamin A in the form of antioxidant carotenoid (beta-carotene) and vitamin C. Vitamin C also helps facilitate iron absorption.
5 – The Ultimate Detox & Cleansing Green: If your goal is detoxification and cleansing, dandelion greens should be the ones you use in green smoothies! They are said to help cleanse the liver and many detox recipes call for them.
6 – Lots Of Minerals: Dandelion greens are rich in minerals. Besides calcium and iron, they are a good source of copper (10% RDA), manganese (8% RDA), phosphorus (5% RDA), potassium (5% RDA) and magnesium (5% RDA).
7 – 14% Protein: Dandelion greens have more protein per serving than spinach. The greens themselves are 14% protein and contain all essential amino acids so it’s a complete protein. One chopped cup contains 1.5 grams of protein.
8 – Multivitamin Green: Besides vitamin A as beta-carotene (186% RDA) and vitamin C (21% RDA), each cup of chopped dandelion greens are also good sources of vitamins B1 (9% RDA), B2 (11% RDA) and B6 (11% RDA), vitamin E (13% RDA) and especially abundant in vitamin K (357% RDA).
9 – Health Benefits of Dandelion Greens: The nutrients in dandelion greens may help reduce the risk of cancer, multiple sclerosis, cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and stroke. Dandelion contains anti-inflammatory properties which may provide benefit to those with asthma and other inflammatory diseases.
 (Source: http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/10-reasons-you-should-use-dandelion-greens-in-your-green-smoothie/
They may not taste totally fantastic alone, but add anything you like to the juice or smoothie and it's fine! If picking them yourself, try to pick them before the flower buds have a chance to bloom - they are said to be less bitter at that stage.

A milestone happened today - my body gave me the blessing of diarrhoea like bowel movements (I know - too much information!), which I have read is supposedly your body's way of saying 'fuck off no more solid food I'm busy cleaning!' However I am really enjoying my lunch time salad, which today was the usual carrot, red cabbage, red onion and mixed lettuce with a dressing of crushed raw sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds with sesame oil, soy sauce, olive oil and a squeeze of grapefruit juice. God so good! And such a good reward (and tiny protein hit) after lugging 7 kilos of groceries in each hand plus 3 kilo Evie from the supermarket to the tram to home - which was incredibly awkward as I am extremely weak!

Fourth juice of the day was dandelion greens, mint, ginger, kale, green apple, cabbage, celery, cucumber, half a grapefruit and pineapple - I thought it was pleasantly refreshing, my better half thought otherwise.

Come 5.30pm I needed a little sweet hit - I had a chai tea with honey and soy milk followed by my fifth juice of the day was dandelion greens, parsley, mint, ginger, kale, green apple, pineapple, cucumber, strawberries, beetroot, broccoli and orange - so good!

7.30pm brings the dreaded dinner time stand-off. To sit with my partner and chat whilst he eats, or do I sulk off to our bedroom until he is done and the smell of chickpea curry clears from the air?
I stayed. With a giant bowl of my lovely salad in front of me.  I have a feeling I would be the worlds biggest bitch if it wasn't for actually being able to have something that feels like a meal!

I am still torn about whether or not to go back to cooked food tomorrow, I will be staying (mostly) sugar free regardless, but I just don't know! I think maybe 1 more day will do me good and then I can enjoy cooked foods!

It is currently 8.30pm and I feel a chai tea with honey and soy milk coming on, followed shortly by bed.

Goodnight!

Elo x

No comments:

Post a Comment