Monday, 8 October 2012

Recipe: Vegan Coconut Raita

Isaac and I were wondering what to make, when we had a wave of culinary inspiration and decided to go all out! Vegan Indian Feast for Two!
Which included papadums (which we learnt can only be fried in masses of oil, so we shared a small one), vegan roti bread, Eggplant and Tomato curry from scratch (don't look at me, it was all Isaac) and (my) Mushroom and Potato Madras served with a side of white (blasphemy!) rice and Coconut Raita!

I don't know about many of you vegans out there, but for me, one of the big things I miss about non-veganism is the lack of yogurt raita on the side of my yummy indian feasts that I love so much! After messing around with a few ideas at my parent's house, I finally came up with one that tastes almost yogurty!

seared-ginger-raita-recipe

Vegan Coconut Raita
Half a can of (solid) coconut cream (One can, but only use the solid half = half a can)
Generous squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/2 a teaspoon of your favourite curry paste (Madras for Me!)
A teaspoon of olive oil (for super-lush-creaminess)
3cm length of continental cucumber (skin on)
1 tablespoon of cornflour (dissolved in just enough water or left over coconut milk to make a thin paste)
Splash of soy milk (optional)
Fresh coriander or ground coriander seeds (optional)
3cm length of carrot (optional)

Firstly, dissolve your cornflour in water, then combine that in a saucepan with the coconut cream - when it is completely combined, then and only then, turn on the heat and constantly stir until it comes to the boil - turn off immediately and combine with the rest of the ingredients!

As I am more into thick raita without too many chunks I put the cornflour coconut mixture and everything else in the blender and blended until the cucumber was almost non-exsistant.
However, you could finely dice, or even grate the cucumber and mix it by hand if you wanted.
Although, the blender does help with the super creamy emulsification part - but not essential for delicious raita.

Put in in the fridge to cool (or even the freezer).

Serve on the side, or make potato raita by mixing with a few boiled potatoes cut into small chunks - which is amazingly delicious and much easier to get everything on to your fork at once!

What is your must have for an Indian Feast?

No comments:

Post a Comment